How to Address Carbon Monoxide Risks in Your Home

Dependable Service Since 1926

There are a number of different health and safety risks that can occur in the average home. Fire is perhaps the most common, along with electrocution. Most homeowners are cautious enough about these to install smoke alarms and proper outlets. However, one risk that far too many homeowners neglect to address is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide could be more common in your home than you think, which is why you need to take steps to address it.

Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas that is commonly produced as a byproduct of natural gas combustion. If you use a gas furnace, stove, or any other appliance, at least a small amount of this gas is being produced every time it’s operating. Normally, these systems either don’t produce enough of the gas to be harmful, or they have measures in place to safely dispose of it once it’s been created. The problem occurs when these safety measures malfunction, which happens often enough that you should have some backup measures in place.

Carbon monoxide exposure is toxic because it binds to the oxygen receptors in the blood, preventing the body from receiving enough oxygen to function properly. This can cause migraines, dizziness, nausea, hallucinations, and blackouts, among other things. In very high doses, carbon monoxide poisoning can even be fatal. Because there’s no way for a person to really detect carbon monoxide without special equipment, the first warning signs for someone without a detector would likely be to begin experiencing those symptoms.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

A carbon monoxide detector monitors the air in the home for trace amounts of carbon monoxide. When the concentrations of the gas reach a dangerous concentration, the alarm activates to warn the occupants. If you don’t already have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, you should have it done as soon as possible. You should also have them checked at least once a year.

Bell Plumbing and Heating installs and services carbon monoxide detectors throughout Littleton, CO. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.

google reviews
4.6 Stars | 2,300+ Google Reviews