We all know about how important it is to have smoke detectors installed in our homes. Early detection is by far the best way to mitigate possible injury or death from a house fire. Equally important, though, are carbon monoxide detectors. You’ve probably heard about the dangers of carbon monoxide before. If you don’t already have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, though, you obviously haven’t been properly warned about the risks of carbon monoxide exposure. Let’s take a look at what carbon monoxide can do, and why it’s vital that you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home.
Carbon monoxide is a type of combustion byproduct, the result of burning natural gas to produce heat. All natural gas-burning appliances generate some amount of carbon monoxide. Pretty much all of them have a method for safely disposing of the carbon monoxide that they create, but if those methods malfunction you could end up with the gas leaking into your home. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless, and invisible. There is no way for a human to detect it before feeling the effects of exposure, unless carbon monoxide detectors are used.
Carbon monoxide binds to the oxygen receptors in your blood, preventing your body from absorbing the oxygen it needs to keep operating. This causes dizziness, blurred vision, nausea, loss of consciousness, and eventually death. If a person starts to feel the early effects of carbon monoxide exposure, they should get out of the house and call emergency services immediately. The most dangerous scenario, though, is for carbon monoxide poisoning to occur while one is sleeping. In that case, there is very little chance of survival. This is why it is so important (and oftentimes legally required) to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home.
Call Bell Plumbing and Heating for carbon monoxide detector services throughout Denver, CO.
We’re ready to answer your questions or schedule your appointment, call now or book online!