Here are some easy ways to help prevent any electrical problems in your home. These will come in handy especially during the summer when you’re running your AC a lot and using more electrical power.
Home electrical problems account for fires, deaths, injuries and property damage every year. Many of these fires are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance of electrical appliances, incorrectly installed wiring, and overloaded circuits and extension cords. All circuits in the bathroom need to be equipped with GFI protection. GFI stands for Ground Fault Interrupter. These circuits will turn the power off in a fraction of a second in the event of a short. This will help to keep you and your loved ones from being injured in the event of an electrical short circuit. Electrical fires can occur when equipment is driven beyond capacity, when accumulated oil and dirt overheat a motor, or when sparks ignite scraps, dirt, dust or flammable liquid. These fires are different than other kinds. Throwing water on one can cause you to be electrocuted. In the event of an electrical fire: Never try to douse it with water. Use a chemical fire extinguisher instead. If the fire cannot be put out safely, leave the house and take everyone with you. Go to the breaker box and turn off the main power to the house. Call 911 or the local fire department.
To help prevent electrical fires: Replace worn, damaged or old appliance cords. Check tools for signs of wear. Replace frayed or cracked cords. Replace any tool that causes even a small electrical shock or if it overheats, shorts-out or gives off smoke or sparks. Never overload electrical extension cords or wall sockets. Replace light switches that are hot to the touch. If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never remove the third prong or force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord. And remember to practice a home escape plan with your family.
We’re ready to answer your questions or schedule your appointment, call now or book online!